Átmano mokshártham jagad hitáya cha, 'For one's own salvation and for the welfare of the world'

Ashrama Location

Scenic Location of the Ashrama

The Ashrama is situated at the foothills of the sub-Himalayan range and the place is located in the midst of two countries viz, Bhutan and Bangladesh.  This Ashrama, surrounded by lush green fields, is a place of place of oasis. The serene atmosphere of this centre attracts people from far and near. The beautiful Temple resembling the old Indian culture and the white marble image of Sri Ramakrishna Deva along with the photographs of Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda and all the direct disciples of Sri Ramakrishna have created a divine atmosphere. The serene and Holy atmosphere of the Ashrama have become a source of solace for all.  Since its establishment,  this centre has become the most significant branch centers of North Bengal. 

 

Different Buildings

Spread over a sprawling compound of 14 Acres, the main campus of the Ashrama consists of the Temple, Students Home, Monks’ Quarters, Office-cum Monks’ quarters, Book Stall, Vivekananda Library cum Reading Room and Assembly Hall as well as a vast open field left for  cultivation, horticulture and dairy. At around 150 meters away from the main campus, one more separate campus  consisting the Charitable Dispensary, Guest House complex and Gadadhar Abhyudaya Prakalpa ( Integrated Child Development Project). And one another guest house named Sarada Kutir is located in front of the main gate of the Ashrama.

 

OLD BUILDINGS  & CAMPUS

OLD BUILDINGS

 

DEPICTION OF THE BUILDING FROM DIFFERENT ANGLES

 

STUDENS’S HOSTEL                                                

 

 

Student’s Hostel was firstly  constructed  in a series of Tin Sheded Rooms in 1937. There were 11 rooms in the Hostel. Later , the Hostel had been newly constructed  by the side of Lichi garden.

 

PICTURE OF OLD TEMPLE                                                 

 

Most Revered Swami Shankaranandaji Maharaj, Seventh President laid the Foundation stone of the Temple in 1953. Finally, the temple was completed in the year 1961 and Revered Swami Yatishwaranandai Maharaj, Revered Prameyanandaji Maharaj, Swami Nirvanandaji (Surjua Maharaj),Swami Apurbanandaji Maharaj, Swami Niramayanandaji Maharaj, Swami Dhyanatmanandaji Maharaj, Swami Mrityunjanandaji Maharaj,Swami Parashivanandaji Maharaj, Swami Brajeshwaranandaji (Deben Maharaj),Swami Shuklanandaji (Kalidas Maharaj), Swami Nirboiranandaji (Rohini Maharaj), Swami Nisthanandaji( Manahar Maharaj), and Swami Pramanandaji ( Subodh Maharaj) and more monastic members were present during inauguration.

Due to some damages in different earthquakes, the temple is being presently renovated and extended.

 

 

GOSHALA                                                                       Photographs

 

The Goshala had been firstly constructed during the establishment of the Ashrama in the year 1941 in the place near Lichi Bagan. There was a Tin Shaded room meant for storing food items of the Cows. Later, the shed was repaired in 2002. Preparations are being made to construct a modernized building  with equipments  to keep

 

 

 

 

OLD LIBRARY                                                                Photographs

 

                

Old Library was firstly constructed in the ground in front of the present office building later it was newly constructed to its present place.

 

PRESENT CAMPUS

Temple:                                                   Photographs                                                     

Temple of Bhagavan  Sri Ramakrishna is located facing east side of the Campus. It is a peaceful Oasis in Jalpaiguri Town. Anybody visited this temple can have inner peace and meditate in Temple for his spiritual development. A sizeable number of devotees visited this temple everyday  in the Evening Arati of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna.

Students Hostel:                                                                       Photographs

Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama Jalpaiguri provides fully accommodated Gurukul based hostel facility in North Bengal since it’s inception. Many students of our hostel have made a brilliant carrier in their life adopting the ideology of Swami Vivekananda. This Hostel serves indigent and distressed talented students from rural areas who do not have any place to stay in town area and scope for getting school education are given the opportunity to stay in this Hostel with free & subsidized cost. The students are also given the opportunity to access free coaching classes and are doing well comprehensively. The existing Student Hostel is made up of a two storied Building.

Book Stall                                                                                           Photographs

Our Ashrama provides a well decorated Book Stall with various literature and variety of other publications of our various Math and Mission Centres for sell to the Visitors and devotees.

 

Library                                                                                             Photographs

 

This facility has been provided by this Ashrama since long time. The Old Library building has been demolished and a new building has been constructed in the year…….. This a two storied building with a lecture hall at the 1st floor having a capacity for 200 devotees. In the ground floor the library and the Book stall has been accommodated. At present this library has a stock of 12302 number of books.

 

Vivekananda Sabhagriha

(Under Construction)                                                                     Photographs

                                                                                                   Proposed building and

                                                                                                    present situation

 

 

A multipurpose hall bearing the semblance of Chicago Art Institute. When completed this will provide a capacity for 1600 spectators. This Hall can also be used to celebrate various programme  and also for holding regional and residential youth camps for value Education.

 

 

Guest House                                                                            Photographs

                                                                                                    present situation

 

We may look at North Bengal.

North Bengal comprises eight districts namely, Darjeeling, Kalimpong, (created on 14th Feb.2017) Jalpaiguri, Uttar Dinajpur, Dakshin Dinajpur, Malda, Coochbehar, and Alipurduar (created on 25th June,2014). North Bengal’s strength is its strategic location. It shares international borders with three South Asian countries — Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh. It shares state borders with Assam, Sikkim and Bihar. It is also known as the gateway to the Northeast, and serves as a corridor to China and some South East Asian countries like Myanmar and Thailand. Its water resources are vast and its natural beauty is fascinating. Almost every town is situated on the banks of a river — The Teesta, Mahananda, Balason, Karla and Torsa. North Bengal is famous as a business hub for tea, timber and tourism. Recent development in a wide variety of emerging sectors such as real estate, IT and ITES, healthcare, education, manufacturing etc. is raising new hopes. With mangoes in Malda, pineapples in Uttar Dinajpur, Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri, Black Pepper in Alipurduar, oranges in Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri districts, the region is also a veritable food basket. 

 

The district of  Jalpaiguri was formed on 1st. January, 1869 by amalgamating the Western Dooars with a part of the then Rangpur district of the then Bengal province. After the independence of India and partition of Bengal, the district became a part of the state of West Bengal.

 JALPAIGURI is placed as one of the oldest renowned districts in the Union of India. The simplicity, natural beauty of this district touches the hearts and minds of all who have been here. The District Administration of Jalpaiguri strives to preserve the cultural diversity and harmony of this district and also facilitate the development of this district. 

The name Jalpaiguri came from the word “Jalpai “ meaning “Olive” which grew in the town and adjacent areas and were even visible in the 1900 . The suffix “guri “ means a place.

Geographical area(sq. kms)

3386.18

(a) Annual rainfall

2548.8 mm (Up to August’2014)

(b) Temperature

37.9 cel (max) 7.8 cel (min)

(c) Geographical Location

2615′47″ & 2659′34″ N Latitude
88
23′2″ & 897′30″ E Longitude

 

It is situated in the northern part of the state of West Bengal and shares international borders with Bhutan and Bangladesh in the northeast and south respectively . The remaining borders are shared with the district of Darjeeling in the west & northwest , Kalimpong district in the north , Coochbehar district in the Southeast and Alipurduar district in the east. The district is primarily comprised of a rural population with a high number of SCs/STs present. A sizeable population also resides in the tea gardens which are spread all over the district. . ‘Tea’, ‘Timber ’ and ‘Tourism ’ form the backbone of the trade industry in this district . 

The Area of the district is 3316.18 sq. kilometers, population of 23, 81,596 (2011 Census)

With starting of tea plantation in the foot-hills of the Himalayas (commonly known as ‘Dooars’, being the door to Bhutan) in the last part of nineteenth century, migration of Bengali people from the southern region was started.

Jalpaiguri town is the district head-quarter, situated at the western bank of the river Teesta. The town under its previous name of Baikunthapur was formed in the eighteenth century by the then Raikot, Jayanta Deb. Since 1875, this town is the head-quarter, first, of the then Rajashahi Division and after partition, of the Jalpaiguri division. The temperature of the town is warm and humid, the rainy season stretches 3 months per year, average temperature is 220C. The town is attached to Jalpaiguri and Jalpaiguri Road railway stations at the south-western and northern fringes respectively. The population of the town is 1, 07,341 (as per Census, 2011).

 

Agriculture and animal husbandry is also practiced extensively throughout the district. Jalpaiguri is a part of the monsoon zone of Southeastern Asia. May is the hottest month of this region with average maximum temperature of about 32° C. Whereas, January is the coolest at 11°C . The average annual humidity of the district is of 82 % and the rainfall is 3160 mm . December is the driest month with an average rainfall of 0.2mm and July is the wettest with 809.3 mm. The topography of the district is diverse and is crisscrossed with rivulets, rivers, plains and hills . It is a heaven for tourists who want to connect to nature in its purest form. Places in the forest areas like Marti, Chapramari and Gorumara are one of the most sought after forest destinations in the country. The fauna of this region consists of wildlife like the Indian One horned rhinoceros ,hispid hare , pygmy hog , elephants , gaur , leopard , sambar , cheetal , barking deer , badger , rhesus , sloth bear , otter , king cobra , hornbill , lesser adjutant stork etc.